Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 21 September 2014

QPR manager Mark Hughes gives Kieron Dyer new deal despite season lost to injury

Kieron Dyer played just seven competitive minutes for Queen's Park Rangers last season but will be with QPR for the 2012-13 Premier League campaign after signing a new one-year deal yesterday.

The 33-year-old midfielder injured his foot on his QPR debut last August, and then missed the remainder of the season after another injury in his reserve-team comeback. His manager, Mark Hughes, however, has given him another chance at Loftus Road.



The former England international has been even more unfortunate with injuries at QPR than he was at West Ham, where he made 15 League starts in four seasons; with two in 2007-08 and just one the following season. This followed a more productive eight-year spell at Newcastle, playing for the successful Sir Bobby Robson sides, and during which time he won all but one of his 33 caps.



Hughes's attempts to retain the best of the players that kept Rangers in the Premier League have led to three new sets of contract negotiations. Centre-back Clint Hill has been offered a new deal, as have midfielder Akos Buzsaky and goalkeeper Radek Cerny.



Hill, who won players' player and supporters' player of the year, said last week that he was keen to stay. "The last couple of years have been the highlight of my career," the 33-year-old said. "If I can stick around and help in any way, I'd love to."



There have been departures from Loftus Road too. Eight players, including Fitz Hall, Danny Gabbidon, Patrick Agyemang, Peter Ramage and Rowan Vine are all leaving.



Dyer investment: Kieron's clubs



Newcastle (1999- 2007)



Fee: £6.5m from Ipswich



Games: 251



Goals: 36



Value: £25,896 per match



£180,556 per goal







West Ham (2007-2011)



Fee: £6m from Newcastle



Games: 35



Goals: 0



Value: £171,429 per match







QPR (2011-2012)



Fee: Free



Games: 1



Goals: 0

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre