Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Redknapp: Keane can leave

Robbie Keane

Manager Harry Redknapp has confirmed that Robbie Keane will be allowed to leave Tottenham next month.

Keane's White Hart Lane future has been in doubt for almost a year, with the 30-year-old Republic of Ireland captain having been loaned out to Celtic for the second half of last season.

Redknapp will not consider another loan for Keane when the January transfer window re-opens, insisting any move would need to be permanent and he said: "Whoever offers the biggest fee will, I suppose, be the answer in January."

The striker has started only twice this term for Spurs, with Peter Crouch, Roman Pavyluchenko and the fit-again Jermain Defoe all ahead of him in the pecking order.

It has been more than a month since Keane's last involvement with the first team and he has been linked recently with moves to Aston Villa and Major League Soccer's newly re-formed Vancouver Whitecaps.

Confirming he had held talks with the player, Redknapp said: "I think he'd like to move - he wants to play, you know?

"He's not used to not playing. All his career, he's played and been a big player and he wants to play. He could sit here and take his wages, but that's not him.

"He wants to play football. He trains hard, works hard every day, he's shown a great attitude.

"And probably the hardest decision I had to make was last week: I couldn't get him on the bench.

"It wasn't easy when you respect somebody and what a good player he is or has been. It was hard, because he's still a good player."