Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Redknapp would consider right offer

Published 16/04/2015

Harry Redknapp says he is ready to return to the game
Harry Redknapp says he is ready to return to the game

Former QPR manager Harry Redknapp feels he still has plenty to offer football but only at the right club, having turned down a "mind-blowing" offer to coach abroad.

The 68-year-old handed in his resignation at Loftus Road in February, citing knee problems behind the decision to leave the Barclays Premier League strugglers, although he later claimed "people with their own agendas" had a hand in his departure and described the situation at the west London club as "a bit of a soap opera".

Redknapp will return to the dugout on Sunday, May 31 when he leads a star-studded Men United XI against Leyton Orient Legends, as O's youth coach and Prostate Cancer UK ambassador Errol McKellar hosts a charity football match at The Matchroom Stadium.

The well-travelled former West Ham, Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Southampton and Tottenham manager, Redknapp feels "fit as a fiddle" again following knee surgery and would relish another crack at a full-time job, but only under certain circumstances.

"It is difficult to know whether you want to go back in again, but if the right offer came along for the right job then I would consider it, because I do love the game and certainly do miss it," Redknapp told Press Association Sport.

"But unless it was the right job I would not bother. It has got to be something which I really wanted to do.

"It would not be a case of the money. I had an offer earlier this week to go and work abroad where the money was incredible, a mind-blowing offer, but at the moment it did not interest me.

"I have my wife here, my grandkids and everything else, so it has got to be something I wanted to do.

"I don't have to work any more if I don't want to at my age, but I feel fit as a fiddle and if I could go into a club somewhere, maybe try to get them up from the Championship or somewhere in the Premier League, then I might be interested.

"I could even work with a younger coach to help them and they could then take over as manager in a year or two, to help build the club up; that is something which would interest me but we will have to wait and see what comes along."

While it remains to be seen what chapter will be next in Redknapp's colourful management career, he hopes to see one of his former clubs Bournemouth go on to secure promotion to the top flight for the first time, with the Cherries currently top of the Sky Bet Championship heading into the final three matches.

He said: "The job which Eddie (Howe) has done is second to none. He has been amazing, taking things on to another level.

"I can't see them not going up because they are the best team in the league, playing the best football in the division and are a pleasure to watch. They never change their philosophy home or away and are brilliant to watch.

"The owner has come in, Max (Demin) the Russian, and has put his money in, helped take the club on. So you don't know (what they could do after promotion) but I would just like to see them get there."

Redknapp lost close friend and former West Ham team-mate John Bond to Prostate Cancer and is backing the Men United campaign to help raise awareness of the disease, which is the most common cancer in men with more than 10,000 deaths each year.

He said: "Prostate Cancer is something which can affect any family at any time so it is important that people come out to support this cause.

"We are all scared that if the doctor tells you that you have something wrong, but if you get there early enough it can be cured - you can't let it just go."

:: People are being urged to search Men United and do something great with their mates via prostatecanceruk.org/menunited. Tickets for the Men United XI match are priced at £10 adults and £5 concessions, and are available from www.lofcdirect.co.uk.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph