Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Ronald Koeman hints he wants a goalkeeper amid Joe Hart rumours

Published 18/08/2016

Out-of-favour Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart has been linked with Everton.
Out-of-favour Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart has been linked with Everton.

Ronald Koeman was playing his cards close to his chest on Thursday when asked about Everton's reported interest in Joe Hart - but did stress the club "need three goalkeepers" and have a decision to make in that department.

Hart has been left on the bench for Manchester City's two games so far this season and Everton are among the clubs being linked with a move for the England shot-stopper.

Regarding that speculation, Toffees boss Koeman said: "What I don't like is talk about rumours, because then we can keep that (going) for two weeks more and there are so many names, players linked to Everton.

"It is today Joe Hart, it will be tomorrow (someone else). I prefer not to talk about players who are still in contract with other teams than Everton."

But he added: "We always look (at) players to have a stronger squad than we have. If we think we don't have that type of player in the squad, then we will sign that player.

"Really what we need we will bring into the team."

Koeman then emphasised "we need three goalkeepers", before adding: "We have Maarten (Stekelenburg), we have Joel (Robles) and we have a young goalkeeper.

"It is all about a decision we need to make."

Koeman last week suggested - having already recruited Stekelenburg from Fulham, midfielder Idrissa Gueye from Aston Villa and defender Ashley Williams from Swansea - that he would be adding "three or four" more signings, and winger Yannick Bolasie subsequently joined from Crystal Palace on Monday.

Everton have also been linked with Sunderland defender Lamine Kone, although when that was put to Koeman on Thursday he again said he would not talk about players currently contracted to clubs other than his own.

"We need to keep it inside - those kinds of decisions we will make inside the club," the Dutchman said of Everton's transfer plans in general.

Bolasie, who cost a reported £25million, has been an impressive performer for Palace in recent seasons.

And the 27-year-old DR Congo international believes he can do even more "damage" with his new club, having completed a move he says Everton striker Romelu Lukaku had long urged him to make.

Bolasie, also speaking on Thursday ahead of Saturday's Premier League trip to West Brom, said: "I think I will probably get the ball in better areas and cause much more damage than I would have in the past.

"I know Rom from ages ago and he has been talking for ages about me coming here. I have been like 'no, I'm kind of settled where I am', but I finally took the step and I'm looking forward to it."

Bolasie added: "I look at Ronald as one of the best managers in the Premier League.

"You can see what he did at Southampton (guiding them to seventh and then sixth in the last two seasons) and you'd like to think he could do that for Everton as well. I'm looking forward to Everton being the upset."

Koeman said Bolasie will be part of the squad for Saturday's game and that a decision will be made on Friday as to whether the same applies to Williams, who has been building his fitness and is "close" to making his debut.

Lukaku missed the 1-1 draw with Tottenham last Saturday due to a heel problem but has returned to training and will also be the subject of a late call from Koeman, while full-back Seamus Coleman (heel) remains sidelined.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph