Samba hands in transfer request
Published 16/01/2012 | 17:02
Blackburn captain Christopher Samba has handed in a transfer request, his management company have confirmed.
Samba was last week quoted in L'Equipe saying that his club, who are struggling near the bottom of the Barclays Premier League, "doesn't evolve at all'', that "things have not gone as I was told'' and that he felt it was "time for a change''.
The defender has been linked with Tottenham and QPR, and Rovers manager Steve Kean revealed on Friday that two bids had been turned down for the player. The Scot also stressed that Samba was not for sale, but the 27-year-old has now made it clear that he wants to leave Ewood Park.
In a statement, Samba said: "I have today officially requested a transfer from Blackburn Rovers Football Club. I have personally informed the owners, manager and executives at the club that I want to leave in this transfer window."
"In my five years at Blackburn Rovers Football Club I have always given 100 per cent in every game I have played. I have had several opportunities to leave but I have always stayed.
"I have decided now is the right time for me to pursue a new challenge and I have asked the club to respect my decision and allow me to leave. I thank the fans for their support and I hope they feel I have served them and their club well."
On Saturday Blackburn moved off the foot of the table and out of the relegation zone with a 3-1 victory at home against Fulham, a game which was preceded by a protest by a section of Rovers fans against the club's owners, Venky's.
Samba did not feature in the squad for the match, although afterwards Kean said it was because the French-born Congolese centre-back had complained of severe stomach cramps.
He then expressed his hope that his skipper would be available for next week's trip to Everton, but it now appears as if Samba is headed for the exit.
Samba has been with Blackburn since 2007 and last February signed a new contract to keep him at Rovers until 2015.