Spurs told to up their bid in pursuit of AZ striker Vincent Janssen
Tottenham have yet to come up with a suitable offer for AZ Alkmaar forward Vincent Janssen, according the sporting director of the Dutch club Max Huiberts.
Striker Janssen, the top scorer in the Eredivisie last season with 27 goals, was given permission to spend two days in London last month and visited Spurs' training ground, meeting manager Mauricio Pochettino and discussing his plans for the future.
Spurs are said to have initially tabled an offer of around £11million, which has reportedly since been improved upon, but Alkmaar are holding firm for closer to their £17million valuation.
Janssen - who scored a penalty for Holland in their 2-1 win at Wembley in March - has returned for the start of pre-season training in the Netherlands, but spoke of his frustration at the saga not been yet concluded.
German side Wolfsburg have also been in touch with AZ, who on Wednesday completed the transfer of striker Wout Weghorst from Heracles Almelo.
Huiberts, however, insists unless Spurs come back with improved terms, then 22-year-old Janssen is staying put.
"There is a lot of speculation and I read a lot of nonsense stories," Huiberts said in Dutch newspaper Noordhollands Dagblad.
"We received one bid from Tottenham Hotspur that we have not accepted. That's not so strange to me. It is not often that a club agrees immediately with a first offer. Then we heard nothing more."
Tottenham are aiming to reinforce their attacking options to help allieviate the pressure on main frontman Harry Kane ahead of a Champions League campaign.
Pochettino has also bolstered his midfield following the signing of Victor Wanyama from his former club Southampton, and also linked with a big-money move for Georginio Wijnaldum at Newcastle.