Suarez told move would be a mistake
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has told striker Luis Suarez it would be a career blunder to leave Anfield.
The Uruguayan is being pursued by Arsenal, who had a bid of £40million plus £1 for the striker rejected this week.
Suarez and his representatives may yet argue that they are now in a position to negotiate with the Gunners but Liverpool will try to reject that claim.
And Rodgers has little doubt Suarez would regret leaving Liverpool if he were to depart.
Rodgers, quoted in The Guardian, said: "I know what we are trying to build and grow, so why would you swap Liverpool to go to Arsenal?
"I am not sure that it adds up, to be honest. Arsenal has a wonderful history in its own right but Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world. Okay, we might not be in the Champions League and haven't been for a while now but our competitors have grown around us and we have to step up to the challenge now.
"Would it be a mistake for Luis to leave? 100%. The team was built around Luis last season. I made some big calls to get the team to work in a way to suit his strengths and it is no coincidence he had a great season apart from the end bit. We would love to have him to continue the next phase.
"It is difficult for Luis, I understand that. If a team wants you, it can be difficult."
But with huge crowds turning out to watch Liverpool during their pre-season tour in Indonesia and Australia, Rodgers hopes a crucial message has hit home.
"I am sure Luis will have seen the sheer size and status of the club, so we'll just see how it goes. It is not something we want to run on too long," Rodgers said.
Suarez is serving a 10-game ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic and previously was banned for eight matches for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.
His agent Pere Guardiola told the club this month the player wants to play Champions League football and Liverpool's prospects of holding onto the 26-year-old appear slim.
But at a press conference on Friday morning, Reds managing director Ian Ayre reiterated: "It's never been our intention to sell Luis. We've received 2 separate offers from Arsenal and rejected both."