Belfast Telegraph

Friday 25 July 2014

Swans protected from raid - Jenkins

Huw Jenkins

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins has revealed an agreement is in place to prevent newly-appointed Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers signing players from his former club for 12 months.

The Northern Irishman has been presented as the new Reds manager after the Merseyside club settled on a compensation package with Swansea. But he will not be able to raid his former club for talent over the next year.

"We have got some protection on Brendan coming back for our players in the initial period, which I think is the right thing," Jenkins told talkSPORT.

"He has got a timescale to assess things there and that is going to take him a while so I've got no worries there. We have got a 12-month respite."

Swansea have reportedly been given permission to talk to Wigan assistant manager Graeme Jones as they look to replace Rodgers. Jones, 42, previously held the same role with the Swans and Jenkins confirmed he wants someone who understands the club.

"The way we play, the philosophy in our club is not going to change," he said.

"We have got to bring someone in who is going to complement that.

"They have got to agree to work within our structure. Brendan did that, everything was set up for him and he continued that, built on it, and obviously we are going to continue on the right path and find the right person who is going to suit us."

Jenkins admitted he was disappointed to lose Rodgers but understood the decision.

"We are obviously very, very disappointed that we lost Brendan but things move on," he told Sky Sports News. "I think that naturally he has got massive belief in his ability and he felt that if he was the right candidate he would go forward."

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre