Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Swansea's January targets unchanged, says caretaker boss Alan Curtis

Published 31/12/2015

Swansea caretaker manager Alan Curtis will be involved in the club's transfer discussions during January.
Swansea caretaker manager Alan Curtis will be involved in the club's transfer discussions during January.

Swansea will operate as normal in the January transfer window despite continued uncertainty over appointing a new manager.

That is the assessment of caretaker boss Alan Curtis, who remains in charge for a fifth time at Manchester United on Saturday.

Curtis is now the bookmakers' favourite to become the new Swansea manager, at least until the end of the season, after overseeing an improvement in form since Garry Monk's departure on December 9.

Swansea have gone three games unbeaten, beating West Brom and drawing against West Ham and Crystal Palace, since losing Curtis' first game at Manchester City to an injury-time goal.

And Curtis says that he has spoken to chairman Huw Jenkins about January targets with the transfer window set to open.

"I've enquired about it and there are funds available," Curtis said.

"The targets are the same as we were talking about a couple of months ago. You don't go into the January window in the last week or so with a new list of players.

"This has been done months ago, as soon as the last window shut you're almost looking to January for possible signings.

"You just work off the list on those names who have been there for a while, and hopefully you can find the right one to bring in."

Jenkins' search for a manager has taken him to South America with the former Argentina and Chile coach Marcelo Bielsa the favourite to succeed Monk at one stage.

Gus Poyet, Roberto Di Matteo and former Chelsea assistant Jose Morais have also been heavily linked with the post, but Curtis has proved a stabilising influence at the Liberty Stadium and will be involved in discussions over January targets.

"Huw and our scouts are in charge of that operation," Curtis said.

"I will know shortly which are those targets and which ones we are likely to bring in, if any."

Curtis poured cold water on speculation linking Swansea to Patrick Bamford, who featured against them as a second-half substitute f or Crystal Palace on Monday.

Bamford has since returned to parent club Chelsea after abruptly ending his spell at Selhurst Park and the England Under-21 international could be loaned out again in January.

But Curtis admitted greater firepower was a priority with Swansea's tally of 16 goals from 19 games the second-lowest total in the Barclays Premier League after bottom-placed Aston Villa.

"When you look at our 'goals for' column it is a problem, we need to score more," Curtis said.

"It's not necessarily the strikers to blame for that as we need to produce better quality service into the frontmen.

"We have stopped it at one end with three clean sheets on the trot, but obviously we have to score goals and improve that department."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph