Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 12 July 2014

Transfer News and Speculation: 12 July

Arsène Wenger is in no doubt that the French midfielder Samir Nasri will be a "quality" addition to his Arsenal squad. The Gunners yesterday completed the transfer of the 21-year-old from Marseilles on a long-term contract for a fee reported to be around £12m.

Wenger – who could now allow the unsettled Belarus midfielder Alexander Hleb to leave – feels Nasri has "great potential". "He is young, quick and technically an outstanding player," said Wenger. "Samir has shown great potential with his performances for Marseilles and the French national team over the past two seasons and he will add great quality to our squad."



Nasri made two appearances for France at Euro 2008 and announced last month, prematurely, a deal with Arsenal. With all the documents now processed Wenger can look forward to a season which kicks off on 12 or 13 August with a Champions League qualifier.



Nasri will join the squad for the tour of Austria which begins on 21 July. He said: "This is a very important step because Arsenal is a massive club. I really hope everything will go well for me here. I do will my best for Arsenal and its fans and I am honoured to be part of such a great club."



Mendy to give Tigers added bite



Hull City have confirmed the free transfer signing of the France international Bernard Mendy on a three-year contract. Mendy, the former Bolton defender, was strongly linked with the Premier League newcomers after leaving Paris St-Germain as a free agent. The Tigers coach, Phil Brown, previously worked with the 26-year-old during his season-long spell at the Reebok Stadium, where he was assistant coach to the manager, Sam Allardyce. "Above all I'll be meeting up again with Phil Brown, who was the assistant coach at Bolton when PSG loaned me out there," Mendy told the French sports newspaper L'Equipe. "That counted a lot."



Arsène Wenger is in no doubt that the French midfielder Samir Nasri will be a "quality" addition to his Arsenal squad. The Gunners yesterday completed the transfer of the 21-year-old from Marseilles on a long-term contract for a fee reported to be around £12m.





Wenger – who could now allow the unsettled Belarus midfielder Alexander Hleb to leave – feels Nasri has "great potential". "He is young, quick and technically an outstanding player," said Wenger. "Samir has shown great potential with his performances for Marseilles and the French national team over the past two seasons and he will add great quality to our squad."



Nasri made two appearances for France at Euro 2008 and announced last month, prematurely, a deal with Arsenal. With all the documents now processed Wenger can look forward to a season which kicks off on 12 or 13 August with a Champions League qualifier.



Nasri will join the squad for the tour of Austria which begins on 21 July. He said: "This is a very important step because Arsenal is a massive club. I really hope everything will go well for me here. I do will my best for Arsenal and its fans and I am honoured to be part of such a great club."



Mendy to give Tigers added bite



Hull City have confirmed the free transfer signing of the France international Bernard Mendy on a three-year contract. Mendy, the former Bolton defender, was strongly linked with the Premier League newcomers after leaving Paris St-Germain as a free agent. The Tigers coach, Phil Brown, previously worked with the 26-year-old during his season-long spell at the Reebok Stadium, where he was assistant coach to the manager, Sam Allardyce. "Above all I'll be meeting up again with Phil Brown, who was the assistant coach at Bolton when PSG loaned me out there," Mendy told the French sports newspaper L'Equipe. "That counted a lot."



Coleman captures striker Eastwood



Coventry City's pursuit of Wolves striker Freddy Eastwood is close to being finalised after the clubs agreed an undisclosed fee for the player. The manager Chris Coleman has been chasing the Wales international all summer.



Huckerby moves to United States



The former Manchester City striker Darren Huckerby has joined Major League Soccer outfit San Jose Earthquakes. The 32-year-old signed an 18-month contract after his deal with Championship side Norwich expired at the end of June.



*YESTERDAY'S COMPLETED MOVES



Peter Crouch (Liverpool) to Portsmouth: £9m



Diego Cavalieri (Palmeiras) to Liverpool: Undisclosed



Tony Craig (Crystal Palace) to Millwall: Undisclosed



Gary Hooper (Southend Utd) to Scunthorpe Utd: Undisclosed



Samir Nasri (Marseilles) to Arsenal: Undisclosed



Ryan Cresswell (Sheffield United) to Bury: Free



George O'Callaghan (Cork City) to Tranmere Rovers: Free



Bas Savage (Port Vale) to Tranmere Rovers: Free



Mark Cook (unattached) to Hartlepool United: Signed



Bernard Mendy (unattached) to Hull City: Signed



David Williams (unattached) to Oldham Athletic: Signed



Jermaine Wright (unattached) to Blackpool: Signed



Jake Cole (Queen's Park Rangers) to Oxford United: Loan



Steve Kabba (Watford) to Blackpool: Loan



Jake Livermore (Tottenham H) to Crewe Alexandra: Loan



Darren Randolph (Charlton Athletic) to Hereford United: Loan



COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre