Victor Lindelof: Manchester United move hinged on Jose's call
Manchester United's new signing Victor Lindelof has said he agreed to sign for the club after speaking to manager Jose Mourinho over the phone.
Lindelof was officially confirmed as a United player on Wednesday after a £30.7m fee for the defender was agreed with Benfica last Saturday.
And although Mourinho insisted in the wake of United's Europe League victory last month that all transfer matters would be left to the club hierarchy, the Swedish 22-year-old revealed how the Portuguese rang him in a bid to convince him to join the Manchester club.
"We talked on the phone," Lindelof said.
"He told me about the club and everything around it. He also talked about how he looks at me and why he wants me at the club."
And he added: "I've spoken to him. It was a good chat. It's very important for me to hear what he has to say.
"It feels great to know the coach wants you to finally be here. It makes me very happy.
"He's a great coach and for me to be able to work with him is a great opportunity."
Lindelof admitted he would now be facing even greater pressure as a footballer having joined United, though he insisted he was ready for the challenge ahead.
"There is pressure everywhere," he said. "There has been a lot of press in Portugal; there will be more now with one of the world's biggest clubs.
"But it's also really fun; very inspiring. But wherever you play, you need to perform and adapt to the new environment, no matter whether it is Germany, Italy or Spain. I look forward to it and I trust my qualities and think it'll go well."
Meanwhile, Mohamed Salah could finalise his move to Liverpool by the end of the week after his agent arrived in England.
The former Chelsea winger is understood to have agreed personal terms with the Reds already with only a transfer fee between the Merseyside club and Roma to be negotiated.
Liverpool are willing to make Salah their most expensive ever signing at £35m but the Serie A side are holding out for closer to £40m.
• Northern Ireland women under-19s drew 1-1 with Slovakia yesterday in the second game of their double header ahead of the Uefa Women's Under-19 Championships in August.
Diana Lemesova gave Slovakia the lead with a free kick from 25 yards just before half time but Northern Ireland captain Emma McMaster equalised from the penalty spot in the second half.
Alfie Wylie's side lost the opening game 3-1 on Wednesday night.
Linfield are back in friendly action today when they take on Bala Town in Wales (2pm).