Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Villa fined after pitch invasion

Published 14/05/2015

Aston Villa have been handed a hefty fine following a pitch invasion by supporters
Aston Villa have been handed a hefty fine following a pitch invasion by supporters

Aston Villa have been fined £200,000 over the pitch invasion at the end of their FA Cup quarter-final win over West Brom that saw some Baggies players targeted by fans.

Villa admitted 'spectator misconduct' in relation to the game on March 7 after being charged by the Football Association with failing to ensure that no spectators or unauthorised persons were permitted to encroach onto the pitch area at Villa Park.

Following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing, Villa have also been severely warned as to the club's future conduct.

Villa issued an apology after the match saying the victory had been "marred by the actions of those who could not control themselves".

After the game, West Brom boss Tony Pulis Pulis criticised the stewarding at Villa Park and said his players' safety was in jeopardy.

He said then: "It puts the players in danger and we don't want to see that. We were seeing it in the 1970s and 80s and we don't want to get back to that. I actually think Villa should look at the stewarding."

Some West Brom fans were also involved in incidents including a number of seats being ripped off and thrown onto the pitch.

The FA said in a statement: "Aston Villa have been fined £200,000 after admitting spectator misconduct in relation to their FA Cup Sixth Round tie against West Bromwich Albion on 7 March 2015.

"The club was charged for failing to ensure that no spectators or unauthorised persons were permitted to encroach onto the pitch area whilst attending the game at Villa Park.

"Following the Independent Regulatory Commission hearing, Aston Villa were also severely warned as to the club's future conduct."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph