Belfast Telegraph

Warnock bemoans luck after defeat

QPR boss Neil Warnock could only bemoan his luck after watching his side give everything but come away empty-handed from a 3-2 defeat against Barclays Premier League leaders Manchester City at Loftus Road.

Rangers became the first side to go in front against City this season, thanks to Jay Bothroyd, and then levelled with two goals either side of the break. Even after Yaya Toure had headed home what turned out to be the winner QPR had chances, with Heidar Helguson hitting the bar and Jamie Mackie failing to go down when Warnock felt he would have been granted a certain penalty.

It all led to a frustrating outcome for the QPR chief, who said: "It is a diabolical result. Football can be a cruel game sometimes. You do not get what you deserve."

He added: "We have made three errors in 90 minutes against a side I would regard as the best in the world, and got punished every time.

"The performance probably surprised a few people, but I think we can get even better. I guess you have to take it on the chin. It is results like that that make them champions elect."

After a lethargic first half hour, the visitors rallied through Edin Dzeko's 10th goal of the season before star man David Silva produced the moment of the match.

The man who may struggle to get a game for Spain against England next week had a number of options when Dzeko rolled a pass to him inside the box.

As the QPR defenders stood back and waited, Silva seized the initiative, darting on to the ball far too quickly for Danny Gabbidon, but with enough distance ahead of Anton Ferdinand to bury his shot into the home net.

Once in front, City were not to be headed a second time, with Toure finishing the game off to complete a remarkable 11-game tally of 31 points and 39 goals.

"The only time I have seen attacking like that is when I watch Barcelona on TV," said City assistant boss David Platt. "We have won the game because we have scored three more goals. We feel as though there are goals in the team. Even at 1-0 down, even if it had gone to 2-0, I knew we were not out of it because we have such a goal threat about us."


From Belfast Telegraph