Wenger defiant as United hit eight
Arsene Wenger will not quit in the wake of what he admitted was a "humiliating" 8-2 defeat for Arsenal at Manchester United on Sunday.
Wayne Rooney scored a hat-trick as the Gunners were condemned to their worst loss since they conceded eight goals against Loughborough in 1896. Already under pressure following the exits of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, Wenger was condemned by Arsenal old-boy Paul Merson, who criticised his old mentor on TV.
"No," said Wenger, when asked if he would quit. "Of course it hurts. It's humiliating. But you could see we had not recovered physically from Wednesday. They had class and they punished us."
The memories of Wednesday's fine performance against Udinese were banished by this record landslide though, which will at the very least bring renewed calls for new faces.
However, it seemed his defence and midfield were in more urgent need of strengthening, although Wenger feels the absence of so many regular members of his first-choice XI was a key factor.
"We had too many players out. It was too much," he said.
"We were poor defensively but there were points in the game where we had quality. I just feel we collapsed more physically than anything. It is better not to talk too much about this because it hurts.
"We have to sort out our problems because, so far, we haven't managed to do that. We are working very hard to find players but of course we are behind the other teams when it comes to wages."
Efforts to sign Bolton's Gary Cahill will continue, with Wenger confirming Arsenal need a defender and a midfield player. And while the search continues, he is ready to take any criticism.
"I am in a public job and I have to accept that. I have to make the right decision for the club and I will continue to that. We have played three games and I think you should give me more time to say if I have got it completely wrong," said Wenger.