Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Football

Scare as Manchester City trio hit by sickness bug are sent home

By Andy Hampson

Published 06/08/2015

Laid low: Sergio Aguero
Laid low: Sergio Aguero

Sergio Aguero, David Silva and Samir Nasri were sent home ill as Manchester City suffered a minor fitness scare ahead of the new Barclays Premier League season.

The trio complained of stomach bugs during training yesterday and were told to go home by a club doctor.

That meant they were also unable to attend the club's 'City Live' season launch party, where Aguero was due to pick up the 2014-15 player of the year award, in central Manchester.

But all three are expected to return to training ahead of their League opener at West Brom on Monday night.

Aguero sent a video message to the supporters at last night's event saying: "Sorry I can't be there, I don't feel well. I will be back soon."

Aguero, City's top scorer last season with 32 goals from 41 appearances, might not be a definite starter at The Hawthorns anyway after returning late to training following his involvement in the Copa America.

Manager Manuel Pellegrini last year eased the 27-year-old back into action after his World Cup exploits with Argentina. He started the first two league games on the bench and Pellegrini could adopt a similarly cautious approach this term with his prize asset, who has a history of muscle injury problems.

New midfield signing Fabian Delph is doubtful for the opener after suffering a hamstring injury just 18 minutes into his debut in the pre-season friendly against Real Madrid in Melbourne a fortnight ago.

The £8million signing, gave an upbeat update on his condition at City Live. The 25-year-old said: "Not the best debut but things can only get better from there. I'm feeling great now. The recovery is going well. We've got a great medical team here and I'm flying at the minute, so I am looking forward to coming back."

Belfast Telegraph

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph