Charlie Mulgrew believes Celtic have to shrug off any embarrassment surrounding their European reprieve to make the most of their second shot at Champions League football. The Hoops' stand-in skipper was speaking on the day that Legia Warsaw's appeal against Uefa's decision to exclude them from the competition for fielding a suspended player had been rejected.
The Polish club were found to have fielded an ineligible player, Bartosz Bereszynski, in the closing moments of the second leg of their third qualifying round clash against the Scottish champions which they won 2-0 to follow a 4-1 first-leg success.
Ronny Deila's side were duly awarded a default 3-0 win and progressed on away goals and will meet Maribor in the first-leg of their play-off in Slovenia on Wednesday.
"We are grateful to get another chance," Mulgrew said.
"It was disappointing how the two games (against Legia) went but rules are rules and we are happy to be back involved.
"Maybe there is a wee bit (of embarrassment) but what can you do? You have to quickly get over that and get on with it. You can't feel sorry for yourselves and be embarrassed at getting through."
Mulgrew acknowledged the rarity of being involved in his second such Uefa controversy in four years. He was in the Celtic side which benefited from a blunder by Sion four years ago.
The Swiss club had qualified from the play-off stages of the Europa League after defeating Celtic 3-1 on aggregate but were ruled to have used ineligible players and consequently thrown out, with the Hoops progressing.
"It is unreal," said the Scotland international, back in the side for the visit of Dundee United tomorrow following a one-game ban.
Legia owner Dariusz Mioduski confirmed the club would now take the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Legia believed Bereszynski's suspension had already been served.