Belfast Telegraph

Monday 30 May 2016

Home Sport Football Scottish

Hooper to the four as Celtic brush off Raith

By Ronnie Esplin

Published 26/09/2012

Celtic 4 Raith Rovers 1: Gary Hooper helped himself to four goals as Celtic eased their way past Raith Rovers at Parkhead and into the quarter-finals of the Scottish Communities League Cup.

The Hoops striker opened the scoring in the 12th minute with a trademark poacher's goal before Raith skipper Allan Walker levelled in the 27th minute with a deflected shot from 20 yards.

However, Hooper minimised any chances of a cup upset when he restored Celtic's lead before the break before completing his scoring spree in the second half against the Irn-Bru First Division side who were valiant but out of their depth.

With bigger tasks ahead in the coming weeks, especially in the Champions League, Celtic manager Neil Lennon would have been glad to see midfielders Beram Kayal and Joe Ledley get some game time following their lengthy absences out with ankle and groin complaints respectively.

New signing Efe Ambrose made his first start for the Hoops in midfield, with goalkeeper Lukasz Zaluska together with Thomas Rogne, Dylan McGeouch and Tony Watt coming in against a Rovers side which had Grant Anderson in for David Smith.

The fixture did not capture the imagination of the home fans and the top tier of Celtic Park was closed,.

However, it was their desire to play football which saw the underdogs come unstuck and defender Jason Thomson's pass from wide on the right touchline was cut out by James Forrest who sped forward and switched the ball to McGeouch whose low driven cross was steered in almost casually from close range by Hooper.

Watt flashed a shot over the bar from the edge of the box in the 25th minute but two minutes later the visitors, somewhat out of the blue, had their vociferous band of fans in raptures.

There was still plenty to do when striker Brian Graham played the ball into the unmarked Walker 20 yards from goal but his drive took a nick off Hoops defender Kelvin Wilson before spinning over Zaluska and going in off the post.

However, order was restored in the 37th minute when Forrest raced down the left and his cross into the middle was, again, confidently converted by the unmarked Hooper.

Celtic's rearguard were prone to the occasional lapse and Raith should have levelled for the second time in the 50th minute when Walker set up Brian Graham with a fine cross but the big striker did not get enough on his header from eight yards and the ball went wide.

That was effectively the last hope Rovers had of pulling off a shock.

Hooper grabbed his hat-trick in the 58th minute when he finished off a fine move involving McGeouch and Adam Matthews by drilling an angled shot past McGurn and in at the far post.

On the hour mark the Englishman made it 4-1 when he tapped in from almost on the line after Kayal's shot lacked the power to see him on the scoresheet.

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

From the web

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph