Belfast Telegraph

Friday 29 August 2014

Mendes stays at Rangers

Pedro Mendes has backed Rangers’ decision not to sell him in the January transfer window and sanction a return to the Barclays Premier League.

The Ibrox club made it clear they were willing to offload at least one of their star performers for financial reasons last month - but reports claimed Mendes was the one player who was off-limits.

But, speaking after a quiet deadline day which saw Rangers retain all their key personnel, Mendes revealed he was happy with the club’s decision to snub any offers for himself.

"It is closed now," he said."Just to make it clear, as for my part and the club’s part, there was a clear intention, both of us were thinking the same way.

"January is always a month of speculation with all the talk about possible transfers.

"The main thing now is that it’s finished, it’s closed, and we are looking forward to the rest of the season."

But, right now, the Portugal international is relishing a break from league business when AC Milan come calling tonight.

He said: "It’s a game for the fans to enjoy against a great club and top-class players.”

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre