Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 20 December 2014

Rangers attempt to hang on to players as McCoist ponders cash injection

Ally McCoist says he has not yet invested in Rangers but confirmed he is considering buying a stake in the club.

Reports at the weekend suggested the Ibrox boss owned a share of about 4.5 per cent after buying into Charles Green's consortium, who purchased the business and assets of Rangers when they were consigned to liquidation in the summer.

McCoist says the reports are premature but admits he is interested in becoming an investor.

He said: “It's jumped the gun a little bit because, at this moment in time, there is nothing at all that's been finalised.

“I'd be loathe to say any more until if and when it happens. It's something I would absolutely be considering.”

Top of McCoist's priority list at the moment is ensuring he has as strong a squad as possible in place before a 12-month transfer embargo comes into effect on Saturday.

The Light Blues boss has a number of trialists training at Murray Park and is determined to add quality signings to his pool before midnight tomorrow.

He said: “The situation has been made very clear that we need bodies and we need to bring a bit of quality into the team and into the squad.

“That's where we are. We will have to do that.

“In the last week or 10 days, we have lost Alejandro Bedoya, it looks like Maurice Edu is away, Kirk Broadfoot is away, Dorin Goian is away.

“We need to get bodies in and plenty of them as soon as possible.

“We've had four or five trialists in. One or two have impressed, which is great, but we haven't made a final decision on any of them yet.”

Broadfoot is the latest player to head for the Ibrox exit door after reaching agreement with the club to terminate his contract.

But McCoist is unaware of interest from Everton in Barrie McKay, after the youngster was linked with a move to Goodison.

McCoist said: “That's news to me. I haven't heard anything about that at all so I couldn't comment on that.”

On Broadfoot, he added: “Kirk has agreed with Charles and the club that his contract will be made null and void and he will be free to leave the club.

“There are one or two issues still to be tidied up but it looks like Kirk will be leaving the club.

McCoist remains hopeful that Carlos Bocanegra will remain beyond the transfer window after the United States international was linked with a move away from the Glasgow giants.

He said: “Carlos is still very much a Rangers player.

“There has been no activity or movement or change in the situation regarding Carlos so he will hopefully be involved in our next few games and be here post-window, so that's where we are with Carlos.

“The longer it goes, I would say the more chance of everybody staying.”

Rangers host Falkirk in the second round of the Scottish Communities League Cup tonight.

They scraped past the Bairns, thanks to a goal by Northern Ireland striker Andy Little, last week in the Ramsdens Cup.

McCoist, whose side could only draw 1-1 at Berwick on Sunday, said: “I don't see Falkirk changing much from the game we played against them last week.

“They pass the ball well, they've got a young talented team who want to play, they all take the ball.”

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre