Tottenham boss Redknapp rules out Celtic return for Keane
Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp has ruled out the possibility of Robbie Keane joining Celtic for a second loan spell next season, after the Hoops new assistant manager Johan Mjallby hinted at the prospect of such a move.
Mjallby was unveiled as Neil Lennon's number two on Tuesday and straight away revealed that the Celtic boss has been in discussions with the Irish record goalscorer with a view to taking him back to Parkhead after the Tallaght native hit 12 goals in 16 league games last season.
But the Swede did concede that the SPL club could only afford to sign Keane on loan and any chances of such a transfer materialising were dismissed by Redknapp yesterday.
“I wouldn't think that's a possibility no, because we paid good money for him and to loan him out again, it wouldn't be a goer,” said Redknapp.
“If Robbie's not happy when the season starts and he's not playing then we'll sit down and discuss it. And if he wants to move someone will have to buy him but I'm hoping he comes back in to the team and makes a real impact.”
Meanwhile, Hoops striker Marc Antoine Fortune, a player who benefited from playing alongside Keane during that spell, is confident he will have more to offer in the season ahead now that he has had 12 months to settle in Scotland.
He said: “Personally, I know I have to score more goals than I did last year. I will work on it and try to do better than last year.
“First of all I will try to do more for me because I try to progress every year. Last year was a difficult year; this year is the year of Celtic.
“I learned a lot because I didn't know anything about Scottish football when I arrived. It's more difficult than everyone expects when they arrive.
“Now I know it's a difficult league and I'm ready for it.”