Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Football

Transfer news and speculation, 2 June

The Macedonia striker Goran Pandev looks set to remain with Lazio despite claiming interest from Tottenham Hotspur.

The 24-year-old would have been seen as a replacement for Dimitar Berbatov were he to leave, but wants to stay in Serie A.

"It is true Tottenham want me, but I intend to stay at Lazio," he said.

Spurs feel they have missed out on Richard Dunne, believing the Manchester City defender would prefer a move to Portsmouth for personal reasons. They also feel competition for starting places could be a factor.

A deal for Luka Modric has been completed, while John Bostock has agreed to sign from Crystal Palace.

Torres staying put at Anfield

Liverpool fans can breathe more easily this summer after the club's Spanish striker Fernando Torres says it will be "many years" before he considers leaving the club. "It is an honour to be linked to clubs like Barcelona, Chelsea or Arsenal but I am not thinking about a change and I want to continue playing for Liverpool for many years to come," he said. "It's been quite easy for me. I have been part of a team where a player can rely on the support of his team-mates. I have also worked with a manager who believed in me. It was the combination of these factors."

Emre bound for Fenerbahce

Newcastle United have agreed terms with the Turkish side Fenerbahce for the transfer of midfielder Emre. The Magpies have now given Fenerbahce permission to speak to Emre to discuss personal terms. The 27-year-old, who has failed to shine after joining in 2005, came to prominence after helping Turkey to third-place at the 2002 World Cup.

Hodgson in for Harewood

The West Ham forward Marlon Harewood is reportedly attracting attention from Craven Cottage, though Fulham manager Roy Hodgson may face competition from Stoke and Rangers. Hodgson is also considering an offer for Mark Bresciano, the Palermo midfielder who was an ever-present for Australia during the 2006 World Cup.

Miller keen on return to Ibrox

Rrangers is reported to be closing in on their former striker Kenny Miller, who joined Derby from Celtic in August last year. Miller's agent claims there have been enquiries from clubs "all over Europe" with Greek side Olympiakos linked with a bid. But rumours claiming Rangers will make a bid have lingered for months.

Miller scored 11 goals in 38 games for Rangers and hit the same amount in 46 appearances for Celtic following a spell at Wolves. A large section of fans made their opposition to Miller's return clear during the Scottish Cup final at Hampden last weekend, but Miller declared himself open to an offer from Rangers following the 3-1 friendly defeat in Prague on Friday.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph