Belfast Telegraph

Monday 5 October 2015

Transfer news and speculation, 5 June

Published 05/06/2008

Alexander Hleb's representative claims a deal to take the Arsenal midfielder to Barcelona "is close".

Vincenzo Morabito told the Spanish newspaper Marca that his client had been hoping for a move to Internazionale, a transfer that he claims has been scuppered by the appointment of Jose Mourinho as coach of the Italian champions. However, Morabito claims that instead Hleb will now turn his attention to Barça. "[A deal] is close. He has been a Barcelona target for some months," he was quoted as saying in Marca. "I'm sorry that we won't be able to take him to Italy, he liked Inter a lot but obviously Mourinho has made some different choices."

Dossena on way to Anfield

Liverpool are on the brink of completing the £7m signing of Italian left-back Andrea Dossena. The 26-year-old was believed to be on Merseyside yesterday having a medical ahead of a proposed move from Udinese. The proximity of the deal has been confirmed by the player's agent, Federico Pastorello, who was quoted in the Italian media yesterday saying: "Everything is confirmed. The deal is practically done." Xabi Alonso's agent claims further talks are planned between Liverpool and Juventus with a view to the Spain international moving to Serie A.

Gera faces final contract offer

West Brom The club have made a final contract offer to midfielder Zoltan Gera, whose contract expires at the end of this month. The Albion chairman, Jeremy Peace, said: "We understand from his representative that Zoltan has received substantial offers from other clubs, but we have now tabled the best deal the club can make and we await his decision."

Sagna agrees long-term deal

France defender Bacary Sagna has signed a new "long-term" deal at Arsenal. The 25-year-old joined the Gunners from Auxerre last summer and enjoyed an impressive first season at right-back, being named in the PFA Team of the Year. Sagna, who has two caps for France, made 40 appearances in 2007-08 before his season was cut short by an ankle injury.

Adams commits to another year

Tony Adams, who had been hoping to move back into management, has agreed a new one-year deal to stay at Portsmouth as assistant manager. Adams' one-year deal is about to expire but Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie has confirmed he will sign a new one. Adams, who was influential in the introduction of a 4-5-1 system last season, will embark on a third campaign at Portsmouth under Harry Redknapp.

Yesterday's completed moves:

David Stockdale (Darlington) to Fulham; Undis

Marlon Broomes (Stoke City) to Blackpool; Free

From the web

Sponsored Videos

Your Comments

Comments posted this week will only be visible until Saturday Oct 3 and will not be available to view after that date. This is due to essential upgrade work on our content management system and we apologise for any inconvenience.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph