TV blackout threat was to protect Leeds, says Cellino
Leeds President Massimo Cellino claimed he is "trying to protect the club" after he nearly went ahead with a television blackout of last night's clash at home to Derby.
The Italian was annoyed by another of his side's matches being selected for live coverage and the 59-year-old instructed club staff to deny Sky Sports' production crew entry to Elland Road ahead of the game.
Access was first denied on Monday - as would be customary 24 hours ahead of a live match - and the doors remained locked throughout yesterday, with Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey being deployed to negotiate with the club.
Shortly before 3pm Cellino - at his family home in Miami and not in Yorkshire - relaxed his position and let Sky in, but he issued a defence.
"I'm trying to protect the club," he said. "I've beautiful people working with me and beautiful players - not overpaid like before. I have to do my job in looking after the club because nobody did before."
Substitute Tom Ince rescued a point for Derby to keep their automatic promotion hopes on track with a 2-2 draw.
Ince lashed home a 78th-minute equaliser after Chris Wood had headed Leeds into a 2-1 lead. Home skipper Sol Bamba had earlier cancelled out Jeff Hendrick's 13th-minute opener.