FIFA president Sepp Blatter was forced to apologise to the FA following the officials' inexplicable failure to spot Lampard's first-half shot had bounced two feet over the line when it crashed down off the crossbar.
Fabio Capello branded the decision "unbelievable" at the time and was still raging yesterday, knowing it might well cost him his £6million-a-year job.
It has also prompted Blatter into a U-turn over his belief that video technology should not be used in even the biggest matches.
"I understand they are not happy and that people are criticising," said Blatter.
"I deplore it when you see evident referee mistakes and it is obvious that after the experience so far in this World Cup it would be a nonsense to not reopen the file of technology at the business meeting of the International FA Board in July."
Also not required for the next stage was Italian referee Roberto Rosetti - and his assistants - who oversaw Argentina's 3-1 win over Mexico.
Carlos Tevez's opening goal in the last-16 game also caused controversy having been scored from a clearly offside position, with the replay played out in the stadium revealing the officials' error.
Meanwhile, the remaining English representative at the World Cup - Howard Webb - is staying on after being told he is one of 19 referees who still have a chance of taking charge of the final in Johannesburg on July 11.
COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? firstname.lastname@example.org