Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport GAA

Óg Conlon and Quinn cut by Harte

By Declan Bogue

Published 26/01/2016

Shake up: Mickey Harte has made changes to Tyrone squad
Shake up: Mickey Harte has made changes to Tyrone squad

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte has made the first alterations to his panel ahead of the National League, pruning it by two players.

Harry Óg Conlon of Edendork and Dungannon's Patrick Quinn - both of whom started in the forward line for the Bank of Ireland Dr McKenna Cup final win over Derry - have been informed they are cut, but their form at club level will be monitored.

Meanwhile, the form of Conor Meyler, after being introduced as a sub at half-time, virtually guarantees the Omagh youngster a starting place as the Red Hands gear up for the National league opener this weekend with the visit of Cavan to Omagh.

What will have been pleasing for Harte was in the absence of veterans such as Sean Cavanagh, Aidan McCrory and Peter Harte, young guns like Meyler - a star of last year's under-21 All-Ireland winners - led the charge.

"What the older players have done, it's rubbing off (on us)" said Meyler.

"We couldn't be where we are without those older boys and they're really good, they look after us, they spur us on and obviously we look up to them as role models."

Meyler was drafted into the senior squad last year once the under-21s success under Feargal Logan concluded and he gave an insight into the in-house competitiveness at the Garvaghey training ground when he said: "At the minute the squad is really tight and I'm just happy to get a bit of game time and try to prove another point to Mickey, just to try and make the panel.

"When boys get opportunities in games, they're all playing well."

He added: "We want to progress on into the National League and into the championship. There's no point leaving it here now in the McKenna Cup.

"We want to push on and keep that unbeaten record going."

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph