Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 30 July 2015

Gaels are blown away in a one-sided semi-final

Farnad Gaels 0-5 Ballinagh 0-11

By John Campbell

Published 19/11/2007 | 13:50

Cavan intermediate football champions Ballinagh proved much too powerful for Fanad Gaels of Donegal in yesterday's second Ulster semi-final at Casement Park, booking their spot in the decider on an 0-11 to 0-5 scoreline.

This game failed to match the first semi in which Dunloy overcame Newbridge with the standard of play below the opening performance. The Gaels didn't have the experience of their opponents, particularly in attack where only full-forward Seimi Friel really bothered the opposition.

Ballinagh were also bigger and stronger than the North-West Donegal boys whose attacks were mostly dealt with quite easily. Evidence of that is that two of Friel's four points came from free-kicks and the only other score that the losers mustered was a point from Patrick McGrenaghan.

Dressing room replacement Declan Beard sent the winners on their way with a point after only 30 seconds. Colm Gumley added anther from a free-kick but Fanad stormed back with McGrenaghan and Friel levelling the argument on seven minutes.

However, five Cavan points flowed to two from Fanad before the interval as the winners went in 0-7 to 0-4 ahead.

Fanad's only other score of the game arrived five minutes after the restart to match a similar 32nd minute effort from a Gumley free. Despite the fact that Friel continued to cause the Ballinagh defence trouble the losers failed to get another score as the full-forward lacked support.

The game fell somewhat flat as the Breffni boys went into a 0-11 to 0-5 lead, from Kevin Smith's third pointed free-kick on 42 minutes as not another score arrived.

BALLINAGH: D McCarthy; K MacBride, A Duffy, P Carroll; N O'Reilly, P O'Reilly, D McInerney (0-1, free); A Maguire, C MacDermott (0-1); C Gumley (0-2, both frees), D Beard (0-2), K Smith (0-3, all frees); N MacDermott, A Gaynor (0-1), P Galligan (0-1). Subs: E Brady for Beard (49 mins), A Durkin for Galligan (58 mins).

FANAD GAELS: O Blaney; S McElwaine, F Sweeney, Colm McElwaine; P Shiels, M Robinson, A McAteer; W McAteer, B Callaghan; M Friel, Ciarán McElwaine, P McGrenaghan (0-1); M Sweeney, S Friel (0-4, 0-2 frees), C Sweeney. Subs: P McConigley for S McElwaine (24 mins), C Martin for Robinson (40 mins), M McGroarty for M Sweeney (40 mins), S McAteer for McGrenaghan (44 mins), H Friel for Callaghan (54 mins).

Referee: JJ Cleary (Derry).

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph