Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Lamh Dhearg undone by raft of suspensions

Lamh Dearg 0-08 - Mooncoin 5-11

By Tomas McGurk

Mooncoin of Kilkenny booked their place in the All-Ireland JHC final following an impressive 18-point victory over Lamh Dhearg in Trim yesterday.

The Antrim and Ulster champions were without the services of six first-team players through suspension and suffered a nightmare start with the concession of two goals in the opening seven minutes - both scored by Mooncoin corner-forward Michael Grace.

A free from Paddy Cunningham was the only reply in a sluggish start from Lamh Dhearg.

Mooncoin, however, failed to build on their dominant opening and the Hannahstown men trailed 2-4 to 0-5 at the break thanks to points from Cunningham (two frees), Terry McCrudden and a monster free from the excellent Michael Herron.

The gap might have been closer but Eoin Purcell made a smart save to deny Lamh Dhearg full-forward Joe Doone.

Upon the restart, the Kilkenny champions quickly reasserted their superiority and a remarkable burst of four points from play from wing-forward Ray Wall and a goal from John Fitzgerald put Mooncoin 3-8 to 0-6 ahead with 45 minutes played.

Grace was denied his hat-trick when Paddy Joe Herron made a stunning point-blank save but, as Lamh Dhearg's challenge petered out in the closing minutes, Mooncoin cut loose and injury-time goals from Fitzgerald and full-forward Eamonn Hennebry secured a facile win for Joe Murphy's side.

Lamh Dhearg scorers: M Herron 0-1 (0-1f), T McCrudden 0-1, P Cunningham 0-6 (0-5fs).

Mooncoin scorers: C Fleming 0-1, K Crowley 0-4 (0-3fs); S Walsh 0-1, R Wall 0-4; M Grace 2-0, E Hennebry 1-0, J Fitzgerald 2-1.


Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here


From Belfast Telegraph