Belfast Telegraph

Thursday 18 September 2014

McGuigan still willing to battle for Tyrone

Brian McGuigan is ready to commit to the Tyrone cause for another season, after coming out of retirement in the face of an injury crisis.

The Ardboe man's glittering inter-county career appeared to be at an end last year when he revealed he would not be involved this season.

And having been coaxed back by manager Mickey Harte, the 32-year-old playmaker feels he has more to offer.

“Once you say you've retired, it's closure. I'm not making any rash decisions,” said McGuigan.

And he has urged the other experienced players considering retirement to stick with the Red Hands. He feels experience is vital to Tyrone's strategy of integrating young talent and laying the foundation for future success.

And with the Tyrone SFC now in full swing, McGuigan expects players who have been the mainstay of the county team for the last decade to shine.

“I'd say if you go to the club championship this summer, a lot of those established players will be among the best players in the club championship,” he said.

“I think you need experienced players there to help bring the young ones on, it's just about getting the right mix.”

The treble All-Ireland winner is excited by the prospect of a clutch of key players returning from long-term injuries to boost Tyrone's bid for honours in 2013.

“Whenever you see Sean Cavanagh making his comeback, and the likes of Ronan O'Neill and Kyle Coney coming back, there's still the players there to do something with Tyrone.”

Despite their success over the last 10 years, the Red Hands have not been dominant at provincial level, with only one of their three All-Ireland triumphs attained via the direct route.

McGuigan feels Tyrone should follow Donegal's lead and target the Ulster title next year and he revealed that he had no hesitation in answering the call when Mickey Harte asked him to return to the squad this year.

“Mickey has done a lot for us over the years and once he calls for you, you respond,” he said.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre