Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Mullingar misery as St. John’s fall short

Intermediate round-up

Raging hot favourites Dicksboro had to pull out all the stops to beat Antrim kingpins St. John’s by 0-15 to 1-9 in their All-Ireland IHC semi-final clash in Cusack Park, Mullingar.

A massive shock looked on the cards for the Kilkenny and Leinster champions when the Belfast boys got their noses in front by 1-6 to 0-7 at half-time.

Earlier a 1-3 unanswered tally, including a 19th minute scrambled goal from corner forward Liam Boyle, had served to ease the Ulstermen into a 1-4 to 0-4 lead with 20 minutes on the clock.

The script was to hold good though with Dicksboro producing a steely third quarter display which saw them out-shoot their opponents by five points to two.

St.John's hung in there and a great save from 'keeper Ciaran Cunningham was inspirational.

Brian McFaul brought his personal tally to seven points for the Saints but it wasn't enough.

Meanwhile, Fermanagh football got a huge filip in Navan when Lisnaskea Emmets won 1-12 to 1-5 in their All-Ireland IFC semi-final joust with Ballymoreustace (Kildare).

Lisnaskea hit the ground running with a point apiece by Aidan Little and Daniel Kille but a goal by Tommy Archibold edged the Leinster men in front.

A Mark Little goal in the 29th minute propelled The Emmets into a 1-8 to 1-1 interval lead.

Kille notched four unanswered points on the restart before Shane Kavanagh was dismissed for a second yellow card offence for Ballymoreustace late on.

Elsewhere, Cavan champions Swanlinbar will contest this year's All-Ireland JFC final after seeing off Leinster title holders Ballinabrackey by 0-5 to 0-4 in Longford.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here


From Belfast Telegraph