Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Concern as Tiger Woods misses the Open

Tiger Woods

Tiger Woods' withdrawal from next week's Open Championship has been greeted in the locker room with a mixture of disappointment and concern.

The former world No 1 announced yesterday that he will miss the British Major for the second time in four years, although the implications for his future caused just as much consternation.

Woods's absence from Royal St George's wasn't unexpected. The 35-year-old has played just nine holes in 13 weeks because of injuries to his left knee and Achilles and missed last month's US Open at Congressional.

Last week Woods admitted his recovery had only allowed him to putt since pulling out of the Players Championship after nine holes in mid May.

“Unfortunately, I've been advised that I should not play in the British Open [sic],” Woods said on his website.

“As I stated at the AT&T National, I am only going to come back when I'm 100 per cent ready. I do not want to risk further injury.

“That's different for me, but I'm being smarter this time. I'm very disappointed and want to express my regrets to the British Open fans.”

Woods famously won the 2008 US Open on “one leg” when he played with a torn ACL in his left knee, as well as with a stress fracture in his tibia.

The resulting ACL reconstruction — the fourth operation on his left knee — saw him skip Royal Birkdale and the USPGA at Oakland Hills as he was sidelined for eight months.

This will be the fourth time he has missed a Major in his 15-year professional career.

Woods rang Peter Dawson, the Royal and Ancient's chief executive, to inform him of the news.

“I know how disappointed Tiger is not to be able to play in the Open this year,” said Dawson.

“Naturally, we are sorry that a player of his calibre isn't able to join us at Royal St George's, but we wish him well in his recovery and hope to see him back soon.”

In truth, R&A will not be too alarmed at his absence. At Birkdale, the 200,000 attendance was as forecast, as was the British TV viewing figures.

The US audience may have “dropped off a cliff” but the R&A have signed their TV deals and already have the money in the bank.

Furthermore, Woods is not the draw he was pre-scandal.

But for the player now ranked down at 17th in the world this is just the latest setback.

Since the revelations of multiple affairs emerged 20 months ago which led to his divorce, Woods has failed to win in 23 tournaments and seen his reputation plummet.

He dropped heavy hints of a return to form with a fourth-place finish at the Masters in April, but unbeknown to observers he had sprained his troublesome knee and Achilles while hitting a ball from under a tree at Augusta.

The word is that Woods is confident of returning at the WGC event in Akron in four weeks' time — and then play in the following week's USPGA Championship in Atlanta.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre