Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Golf

Injury-plagued Tiger Woods plans return to competitive fray

By Phil Casey

Published 08/10/2016

Tiger hunt: former world number one Woods is edging closer to playing in his first PGA Tour event for over a year following three back operations
Tiger hunt: former world number one Woods is edging closer to playing in his first PGA Tour event for over a year following three back operations

Former world number one Tiger Woods has officially entered next week's Safeway Open as he edges nearer to competing in his first PGA Tour event since August 2015.

Woods, who has been sidelined by serious back problems, said last month he planned to play four events before the end of the year, starting with the Tiger Woods Invitational on the Monterey Peninsula, California, on October 10.

The 40-year-old will then head north to Napa for the Safeway Open from October 13-16 and, if all goes to plan, Woods will play on the European Tour in the Turkish Airlines Open in November and the Hero World Challenge, which is hosted by his own foundation, in the Bahamas.

Woods has undergone three back operations in the space of 19 months and has not won on the PGA Tour since the Bridgestone Invitational in 2013.

The 14-time major winner served as a vice-captain to Davis Love as the United States won the Ryder Cup at Hazeltine last week and will perform the same role for Steve Stricker at the 2017 Presidents Cup, if he fails to make the team.

His participation in the Safeway Open was announced in a statement from the PGA Tour, several hours ahead of the 5pm EST deadline for entries.

Meanwhile, England's Ross Fisher has already set his sights on helping Europe regain the Ryder Cup after being a frustrated spectator for last week's defeat at Hazeltine.

Fisher, who carded a second round of 68 to claim a one-shot lead at the halfway stage of the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship, was part of the winning team at Celtic Manor in 2010, but failed to qualify for any of the last three biennial contests.

"The juices were definitely flowing," Fisher said.

"I'm sure all the Europeans will be fighting to make the team for Paris National in 2018, including myself. I would love to be there."

At 11 under par he enjoyed a one-shot lead over Sweden's Joakim Lagergren, whose 68 came at Kingsbarns, where first-round leader Alex Noren shot a 71 to finish nine under.

Ryder Cup star Thomas Pieters is five shots off the pace after a 68 at Kingsbarns.

Masters champion Danny Willett and compatriot Matt Fitzpatrick face a battle to make the 54-hole cut after rounds of 73 left them two and six over par respectively.

Shane Lowry is on four under par while Graeme McDowell is a shot further back and Michael Hoey is one over par.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph