Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Montgomery points to Ryder finish on Monday

Rory McIlroy of Europe watches a shot during a practice round prior to the 2010 Ryder Cup at the Celtic Manor Resort on September 30, 2010 in Newport, Wales
Europe's Rory McIlory reacts to one of his shots during practice at Celtic Manor, Newport
Lisa Pavin (left), wife of Corey Pavin, and Gaynor Montgomerie (right), wife of Colin Montgomerie during the opening Ceremony at Celtic Manor, Newport

European captain Colin Montgomerie has already resigned himself to the Ryder Cup being extended into Monday for the first time in its 83-year history.

Heavy rain forced play to be suspended at 9:45am on the opening morning at Celtic Manor, with the home side ahead in three of the four fourball matches but with many parts of the Twenty Ten course under water.

Montgomerie felt play would have to restart at 1:45pm to allow the contest to finish as scheduled on Sunday evening, but even as he spoke it was announced that a decision on a possible resumption had been put back to 2pm at the earliest.

"We have to start at 1:45pm because that would be four hours lost and we can make up the four hours on Sunday morning," Montgomerie had been in the process of explaining.

"If we don't start at 1:45 we are not finishing on Sunday. That's the way it's looking right now."

Play was halted with Europe ahead in three and down in one of the four fourball matches, but with many parts of the Twenty Ten course at Celtic Manor under water, despite the best efforts of the greenkeeping staff.

There was already standing water on the first fairway before the opening shots were struck at 7:45am, and two more hours of rain - at times torrential - saw large puddles on the greens and bunkers which looked more like lakes than sand traps.

With daylight strictly limited there was a strong chance that the fourballs would not be completed today, never mind the foursomes which were also scheduled.

"We have some spare time on Sunday morning, about four hours as a back up, and we do have Monday as a contingency," European Tour chief referee John Paramor admitted ahead of a noon announcement on the prospects for play.

"The forecast is for the rain finishing early afternoon and we feel and at midday we will have a better idea of when that rain will be through.

"This morning was pretty rough but all the players were keen to get going, so we did. It deteriorated to such an extent that I contacted both captains and said 'What do you think?'

"They both said 'It's your call' and I said I was not happy about continuing play. It had deteriorated to such an extent that it was not really fair."

Speaking before the suspension of play, Europe captain Colin Montgomerie had also conceded: "We don't have much leeway to finish these matches on time."

The opening morning session at Valderrama in southern Spain in 1997 was completely washed out after a thunderstorm, but the course drained superbly and the contest finished on schedule despite Friday and Saturday's play spilling over into the following day.

Europe's players had seemed to be coping better with the conditions with Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer two up on Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson in the first match after five holes.

Westwood, playing his first competitive round since August 6 after a calf injury, birdied the second and saved par from a saturated bunker on the fourth to win that hole as well.

In match two, Graeme McDowell and Rory McIlroy were one up on Stewart Cink and Matt Kuchar after four holes, Cink having birdied the second but the home pair winning the first and fourth with par.

Ian Poulter and Ross Fisher were also one up on Tiger Woods and Steve Stricker in match three, Woods having got the Americans back level with a birdie on the second but Poulter responding with a long birdie putt on the third.

US captain Corey Pavin had sprung a surprise by putting rookies Bubba Watson and Jeff Overton out in the final match, but Overton responded by holing from off the green at the first for a birdie.

And Watson then birdied the second as well to put the American pair two up on Luke Donald and Padraig Harrington, those two holes taking an hour to complete.

Donald said: "If it was an ordinary event we would not even have started. It's a shame but there is nothing we can do about it. Most of the fairways were all casual (under casual water) and if you had to drop it it would be in the rough."

Westwood hailed the "incredible reception" from the fans on the first tee and added: "It's most disappointing for everyone associated with Celtic Manor and the people of Wales. They've been waiting 10 years and the weather has spoilt it a bit.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Nightlife galleries


Latest Sport News

Stats Centre