Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport Golf

No happy return for Paul Dunne at Open

Published 14/07/2016

Ireland's Paul Dunne did not enjoy his Open return
Ireland's Paul Dunne did not enjoy his Open return

Last year's amateur sensation Paul Dunne admitted he was not enjoying his golf after a dismal start to his latest Open challenge.

The 23-year-old Irishman, who went into the final round at St Andrews with a share of the lead 12 months ago, shot a disappointing opening six-over-par 77 at Royal Troon.

His round fell apart as he dropped seven shots on the back nine while he and playing partners Scott Piercy and Jamie Lovemark were put on the clock for a spell for slow play.

Dunne, who turned professional after last year's Walker Cup, said: "I played okay on the front nine, but it's not hard to. But I turned for the back nine into the wind and I got found out.

"But I've been playing rubbish for the past month anyway and it's just a continuation of what's been happening.

"It's technical and it's mental, it's a bit of everything. I'm just not enjoying it. I just need to fix a few things, but I don't know what. If I did, I don't think I'd have been so bad for so long.

"If I miss the cut here I think it will be six out of seven missed cuts, which is pretty pathetic. I'll be glad to have a break after this week."

Dunne felt confident last year but concedes he feared the worst time.

He said: "I was playing better, I was hitting it better. I could have told you going into that week (last year) I was going to do okay, and I could have told you two days ago I was going to play badly today. That is just the way it goes."

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph