Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 20 April 2014

Seve Ballesteros' condition improves

Seve Ballesteros' condition has improved as he remains in Madrid's La Paz hospital recovering from brain surgery.

Ballesteros last week underwent a lengthy procedure to alleviate pressure on the brain caused by an edema and to remove remaining tumour tissues.

A statement from the La Paz hospital on Wednesday said: "The patient Mr Severiano Ballesteros has a favourable trend in his neurological status, but needs to be further controlled in the Intensive Care Unit."

Ballesteros, the 51-year-old five-time major winner, was diagnosed with a tumour earlier this month and before Friday's surgery he had already undergone two operations - the second to reduce swelling on the brain.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the hospital confirmed Ballesteros had also had a tracheotomy to help him breathe.

"It is true that he has a tracheotomy but, like many other procedures, it is customary and is part of the protocols established for similar cases," the spokesperson said in a statement.

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre