Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Golf

Woods gutted after pulling out of further events on medical advice

By Tony Smith

Tiger Woods said he was "extremely disappointed" after having to pull out of two more tournaments over the next fortnight as he continues to battle back spasms.

The 14-time Major winner last week took part in just his third event since August 2015, but withdrew before the start of Friday's second round at the Omega Dubai Desert Classic having failed to card a single birdie in an opening 77.

Woods insisted he had not suffered an injury setback, but has now said he will also have to miss the next two weeks of PGA Tour action - the Genesis Open and the Honda Classic - on medical advice.

"My doctors have advised me not to play the next two weeks, to continue my treatment and to let my back calm down," Woods said. "This is not what I was hoping for or expecting. I am extremely disappointed."

The 41-year-old's future playing schedule will be determined at a later date. The Masters, the first Major of the year, gets under way on April 6.

Woods said he will attend next week's event. He tweeted: "Looking forward to seeing everyone @genesisopen open next week."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph