Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport

Hamilton lost focus after title win

By Ian Parkes

Published 23/02/2016

Raring to go: Lewis Hamilton is targeting his fourth title
Raring to go: Lewis Hamilton is targeting his fourth title

Lewis Hamilton has revealed his "attention was elsewhere" after he won last year's Formula One World Championship. Hamilton, who was in action for the first winter test at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona yesterday, sealed his third title with three races left on the calender.

But his fierce rival and Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg dominated the final rounds. Hamilton meanwhile was involved in a road car crash in Monaco in the days leading up to the penultimate race in Brazil.

"I'm not really too fussed about what happened in the final few races of 2015 as it didn't affect my championship", said Hamilton. "Of course, I love winning and that's always the goal - but to be honest my attention was elsewhere at that point.

"It had been such a successful season and you can't win them all, so that was my feeling at the end of the year."

Hamilton and Rosberg rolled out the new Mercedes in the Barcelona pit lane ahead of the first morning of this week's four-day test. Hamilton will be bidding to become the first British driver to win four titles when the season gets under way next month.

And the 31-year-old says his winless streak at the back end of last season will act as motivation. Reflecting on the final three grands prix of last season, Hamilton said: "It motivated me. It made me think 'next year Nico is going to be super quick and super strong, so I've got to make sure I raise the bar again'."

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph