Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport

I won't fight again but will remain involved in boxing, says Blackwell

By Robert Jones

Nick Blackwell has confirmed he will never fight again but hopes to stay involved in boxing.

The former British middleweight champion has made encouraging progress since being placed in an induced coma having collapsed shortly after being stopped in last month's fight against Chris Eubank Jnr.

He was found to have suffered a bleed on the skull but woke a fortnight ago without requiring an operation and has been pictured looking well and enjoying the company of loved ones from his hospital bed.

The 25-year-old from Trowbridge says he is hanging up his gloves as he does not want to put his friends and family through a similar ordeal again.

And even if Blackwell did harbour thoughts of fighting again his chances would be extremely doubtful, given the British Boxing Board of Control would be highly unlikely to licence him.

When asked on Twitter about a potential return, Blackwell responded: "No, that's me done.

"I can't put my friends and family and self through that again but I'll still be involved."

Blackwell was stopped in the 10th round by Eubank Jnr at Wembley Arena on March 26.

Eubank Jr came close to forcing a stoppage on a number of occasions before referee Victor Loughlin called a halt after seeking advice from the ringside doctor on the swelling to Blackwell's left eye.

Blackwell was later taken to hospital after being carried away from the ring on a stretcher while receiving oxygen.

He plans to watch the fight back at some point.

Eubank Jnr, the son of former world middleweight champion Chris Eubank, hopes to visit Blackwell.

"I've tried reaching out since you woke,'' wrote the 26-year-old. "Haven't heard anything back from you or your team. I hope there's no hard feelings.''

Blackwell replied: "Hello bro, no hard feelings, we were both there doing a job and it was unfortunate what happened but I hope you're okay, champ."

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph