Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 24 November 2015

Belfast Giants' Cody Brockwell shoots down the Fife Flyers

Published 18/11/2013

Shut-out: Goaltender Stephen Murphy was replaced before the Fife Flyers scored their only goal in the 5-1 defeat
Shut-out: Goaltender Stephen Murphy was replaced before the Fife Flyers scored their only goal in the 5-1 defeat

Cody Brockwell scored a record-equalling goal for the Belfast Giants as they stormed to the top of their Challenge Cup group with victory over the Fife Flyers.

The 6ft 4in defenceman netted after only 10 seconds – matching the achievement of former captain Jeff Hoad some 12 years ago – as the Giants claimed a 5-1 victory in Kirkcaldy.

Second-period goals from Kevin Saurette, Dustin Whitecotton and Colin Shields made sure of the victory.

Saurette struck again in the third period and the Giants were 55 seconds away from blanking the Flyers before Matt Reber scored a consolation goal.

By that stage Giants coach Paul Adey had replaced goaltender Stephen Murphy with back-up Andrew Dickson, such was the ease with which they won the game.

Straight from the opening face-off Jeffrey Szwez took the puck, fed Shields and he found Brockwell who skated forward from his defensive position and slammed a shot into the net that stunned Flyers goaltender Kevin Regan.

Fife rallied and gave as good as they got during the remainder of the first period and also killed the only penalty of the opening 20 minutes when Stephen Gunn was punished for a high stick.

The Giants upped the ante in the second period with three goals in just over 10 minutes that took the game away from the home side.

Brockwell was involved again in the first of them. He sent the puck forward to Evan Cheverie and his pass was turned in by Saurette at 27:27.

Just over a minute later it was 3-0 to the Giants. This time Gareth Roberts set up Dustin Whitecotton and he scored to record his 21st point of the season, which moves him to the top of the team's individual statistics.

Colin Shields scored the fourth after taking the puck from Chris Higgins and firing past Regan at 37:48.

Saurette scored his second of the night – and 10th of the season – with just four minutes to go as he went on the attack himself before finding the net.

Murphy was withdrawn less than 20 seconds later and Dickson was beaten by the only shot he faced in just over three minutes on the ice when Reber scored at 59:05.

On Saturday night the Giants had suffered a shock defeat to the Elite League's bottom placed side Edinburgh in the first game of their weekend double-header in Scotland.

Evan Cheverie scored a hat-trick, but the Capitals fought back from 3-2 down to win 5-3.

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

From the web

Sponsored Videos

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph