Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport

Konta fighting fit as she steps up bid for glory at Italian Open

By Tom Allnutt

Johanna Konta shrugged off her recent health scare to breeze into the second round of the Italian Open. The British number one had been forced to withdraw midway through her match against Caroline Garcia in Madrid last week due to an upper respiratory illness.

But she showed no ill effects as she took just 61 minutes to dispatch Sweden's Johanna Larsson 6-1 6-2 and book a second-round tie against seventh seed Roberta Vinci.

Konta faced just one break point in an imposing first set and despite losing serve in the second, she broke her opponent three times to cruise to victory.

British number two Aljaz Bedene was knocked out by Stephane Robert in the first round of the men's tournament, losing 7-6 (7/3) 7-6 (10/8).

Robert saved three set points on his way to a 10-8 success and will now face world number one Novak Djokovic.

Meanwhile, Andy Murray could have a new coach in place in time for Wimbledon.

The world number three announced his split from Amelie Mauresmo on Monday after almost two years together.

Jamie Delgado, who Murray appointed as his assistant coach in February, will take on the lead role until the Scot finds the right person to succeed Mauresmo.

And Murray said that could be as early as next month.

He said: "There's a week after the French Open finishes and before Queen's, so possibly at Queen's I could try something.

"I'm not going into a full-time relationship with a coach without having tested it and trialled it. I've done that with all of my coaches and you do need a bit of time on the court together to see how the practice and the communication is going."

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph