Belfast Telegraph

Formula One: Ferrari let off with original fine over ‘team orders’ debacle

Ferrari escaped further punishment for the team orders fiasco yesterday at a FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting in Paris.

They were accused of telling Felipe Massa to let his team-mate Fernando Alonso overtake him to win the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim.

The head of Italy's motorsport federation the CSAI, Angelo Sticchi Damiani, told reporters that there had been unanimous agreement not to add to the $100,000 fine that was imposed at the time.

It was also confirmed that Formula One will go to India in 2011 in an expanded, 20-race calendar that sees the season finish at the end of November.

The Indian Grand Prix is still subject to final circuit ratification, but is expected to slot between Korea and Abu Dhabi's races, on October 30, though in future years it will probably back-to-back with Korea.

The World Council also introduced a system of licensing so that if anyone commits the same offence as Flavio Briatore did, in rigging the result of the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix while he was in charge of Renault, sanctions can be made to stick.

Initially the FIA sought to ban Briatore for life but had to concede that their statutes did not permit this.

Yesterday they stated that senior members of teams competing in all FIA World Championships will have to hold a relevant licence which can be revoked if found guilty of malpractice.

At the same time, in a bid to stop the sort of ‘hooning' misbehaviour which Lewis Hamilton indulged in on a public street in Melbourne in March, the FIA made it clear they won't tolerate bad driving on the roads from their licence-holders

A miscreant's licence could be withdrawn in future, depending on the severity of any offence.

Despite interest from former world champion Jacques Villeneuve and the Durango team, the FIA said they would not grant an entry to a 13th team for 2011.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph