Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Meeke isn't ruling out a move for next season

By Sammy Hammill

Published 01/10/2015

Still waiting: Kris Meeke's WRC future is still undecided
Still waiting: Kris Meeke's WRC future is still undecided

Kris Meeke will line up for the start of the Tour de Corse in Ajaccio tomorrow morning with his World Rally Championship future still undecided.

The Dungannon driver, winner of Rally Argentina earlier this year, has revealed he hasn't "spoken much" with Yves Matton, his Citroen team boss, about a new contract and says he is "open to offers for 2016".

"Don't get me wrong, I'd love to stay with Citroen. I have an awful lot to thank Yves and this team for and I'm not about to forget that but I have to look out for myself as well," he said ahead of one of the toughest tarmac rallies in the WRC series.

Matton has been a long-time supporter of the Ulsterman, back to his days in the Junior World Championship, but the relationship has soured somewhat this season with Matton showing his frustration by criticising both Meeke and team-mate Mads Ostberg as Citroen have slipped to third behind Volkswagen and Hyundai in the manufacturers' championship.

It is widely accepted that the VW Polo is superior to the current Citroen DS3 but while Ostberg has seemed content to concentrate on getting it to the finish - he is fourth, two places ahead of the Ulsterman in the Championship standings - Meeke has been prepared to gamble everything by pushing to, and sometimes beyond, the limit.

He remains the only driver to take the fight to the dominant VW team of Sebastien Ogier (champion for a third time), Jari-Matti Latvala and Andreas Mikkelsen. Indeed, he is the only driver other than the VW trio to win a WRC round this season.

But if Meeke is to stay in the Championship next year, the final three rounds, starting in Corsica, could be critical.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph