Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home Sport

O'Connell expects to make return to game ahead of schedule

By Ruaidhri O'connor

Published 17/12/2015

Recovering: Paul O’Connell will return in the coming months
Recovering: Paul O’Connell will return in the coming months

The images that began appearing on social media midway through yesterday afternoon were a tad unsettling: Paul O'Connell in a different shade of red began appearing on timelines and it simply didn't look right.

But this is the new normal for the former Ireland captain and as much as his adoring public will have to get used to seeing him giving his all for the Toulon cause instead of Munster's, he concedes he has a lot of adjusting to do too.

After two months of post-op rest, recovery and rehab, the legendary second-row was finally able to join up with his new team-mates at their training base yesterday.

Such is his status, they delayed the squad's 2015/16 official photograph for the arrival of the man Mourad Boudjellal hopes will be his clubs's new talisman - the European totem around which the next wave of success will be built.

Tearing his hamstring off the bone was not part of the plan, but such is the lot of a high-level rugby player and O'Connell hopes to have recovered in time to make his debut either next month or in February.

After a lifetime in Limerick and a professional career spent playing for Munster, the 36-year-old acknowledges that it is not going to be easy.

"This is going to be a big challenge, even already I see different ways of doing things than what I'm used to. It's up to me to adapt to that and learn the Toulon way of doing things," he said at his unveiling press conference.

"I've only ever played for Munster, I've only ever lived in Limerick. It's a big change for me, I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also nervous about it. So, I like the jersey and I'm looking forward to wearing it."

O'Connell concedes that there were moments when he feared that this moment might not come at all as he contemplated the devastating injury he suffered in the epic win over France in October.

"Yes and no," he said when asked if he was worried he might not play again. "There's no doubt when the injury happened I thought to myself, would I get back or would I recover?

"Luckily for me, the surgery was a success and it's been feeling very, very good now for about two weeks. So there was doubts but I'm fairly confident now that it is going to come right.

"It's good, it's on the mend. I've been doing physio back in Ireland, so I feel very good doing everyday things," he said.

"I haven't started running yet. Hopefully, I'll be back January or February, I'm not fully sure yet." Unfortunately, the injury means he won't be able to return to the Aviva Stadium on Saturday for his new side's meeting with his old foe Leinster.

"I don't think they need my help," he smiled. "They did a good job last week in tough conditions, but I think this will be an even bigger challenge. There'll probably be 50,000 at the game, it'll be a full house.

"It will be the biggest game of Lein­ster's season, even though they only have a slim chance of qualifying now. It will be the biggest game of their season and I'm sure Toulon realise that, but I haven't got a lot of advice to offer that (coach) Bernard Laporte and the guys don't know already.

"When you are out injured the coaches and the players have to move on and work hard without you. There are a lot of talented players here already.

"I don't think anyone is going to expect me to run the length of the pitch and side-step a full-back or anything like that. Hopefully if I can help out in the lineout, help out in the set piece, help out in analysis."

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph