Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Olympics

Rio Olympics: Michael Conlan judges still on duty as AIBA denies corruption

By Sean McGoldrick

Two of the scoring judges in Michael Conlan's controversial bantamweight bronze medal defeat to Russian Vladimir Nikitin were back officiating at the tournament yesterday.

Silva Do Rosario, from the host nation Brazil, and Udeni Kiridena, from Sri Lanka, acted as judges in the men's flyweight and women's middleweight quarter-finals respectively in the Riocentro.

Earlier, in response to the growing controversy about the standard of judging at the tournament, the world governing body, AIBA, revealed that a number of judges and referees had been stood down and would not officiate again during the tournament.

While the other scoring judge, Poland's Mariusz Gorny, did not officiate yesterday there was no confirmation as to whether he would play a further role in the tournament.

In a further twist to the storyline, it appears that the Irish Athletic Boxing Association (IABA) was under the impression that the officials in the Belfast man's fight had been stood down by AIBA.

Speaking on RTÉ television last night, the chief executive of the IABA, Fergal Carruth - who didn't attend the tournament in Rio - said the association "was informed last night that the officials and judges in charge of Michael's bout have been stood down".

This is patently not the case, though a number of unnamed officials have been effectively sacked.

The decision by AIBA to issue a statement on the judging controversy underlines the growing disquiet about the standard of judging in the tournament.

While the scoring system, which is modelled on the method used to determine the outcome of professional fights, has been used at all AIBA tournaments since the London Olympics, it has been labelled as unfit for purpose at the Rio Games.

But AIBA has rejected these claims and also thrown cold water on claims that the entire system is effectively corrupt.

According to the terse statement, the AIBA's Rules and Judging Commission has reviewed all of the 239 bouts which have taken place in the Rio Games.

A statement read: "It was determined that less than a handful of the decisions were not at the level expected and consequently it has been decided in accordance with AIBA Rules and Judging Committee that the concerned referee and judges will no longer officiate at the Rio Olympics Games. In accordance with AIBA Rules the result of the bouts will stand."

Not surprisingly, the statement fails to clarify who the discredited officials are. All this, of course, is cold comfort to Conlan, who saw his Olympic ambitions flounder in a storm of controversy.

While it didn't generate as much publicity as the Conlan decision, the heavyweight final between the Russian champion Evgeny Tishchenko and Vassiliy Levit from Kazakhstan was highly contentious as well. While the Russian secured the win on a unanimous 3-0 decision, most observers felt that Levit had won the fight.

In another blow to Conlan and the Irish camp, it emerged last night that Nikitin will almost certainly have to concede a walkover in today's 56kg semi-final against 19-year-old Shakur Stevenson from Team USA on medical grounds.

Nikitin went into Tuesday's bruising encounter against Conlan with a head wound which quickly opened up again.

US coach Billy Walsh - who used to lead the Irish boxers - said last night that he expected Stevenson to receive a walkover today which guarantees the young American fighter a silver medal and a place in Saturday's final.

However, a final decision will not be announced until after this morning's weigh-in. All Olympic boxers have to pass a rigorous medical test before each fight and it appears Nikitin will have to be content with a bronze medal.

Conlan will turn professional after he returns from the Olympics even though his dream of securing a gold medal has vanished. The only issue to be resolved is which promoter he links up with.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph