Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Andy sure Shapovalov will behave from now on

By Robert Jones

World number one Andy Murray was shocked when Denis Shapovalov hit an umpire in the eye with a ball. And Murray believes the "freak incident" will be more of a deterrent than any fine or ban, ensuring the 17-year-old Canadian never does anything similar again.

Three-time grand slam champion Murray has struggled to control his on-court emotions at times.

But the double Olympic champion had never witnessed such an incident as the one which saw Shapovalov fined $7,000 (£5,600) by the International Tennis Federation for striking a ball in anger at Arnaud Gabas, causing a black eye and defaulting his Davis Cup match with Great Britain's Kyle Edmund.

"For sure it is a wake-up call for all players," Murray said.

"It was shocking - I have never seen anything like that before. I am still not sure exactly how he managed to do that.

"You can't always control your emotions. And that is a situation that was close to being very dangerous.

"The umpire was obviously very lucky but he is okay and Denis is lucky as well that he didn't do any more damage than he did. It is a freak incident.

"It is very difficult to know what the right thing is. I think an incident like that you could suspend him, you could fine him more money but I think him actually doing that, I don't think you will see him do anything like that ever again.

"It will have been shocking to him. I am sure he totally regrets what he did.

"I think the embarrassment will almost be enough for him to learn from that and make sure it never happens again."

• Rafael Nadal has announced he will not be competing in next week's ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament held in Rotterdam.

The 30-year-old has been blighted with injury problems in recent seasons which included the 14-time grand slam champion ending the 2016 campaign early in order to recover from a persistent wrist injury.

But Nadal, who reached his first grand slam final in the defeat to Roger Federer at the Australian Open last month since winning the French Open in 2014, insists he is under doctors' orders to recuperate from a busy start to the 2017 season.

Nadal said: "I am very sorry to announce I won't be able to play in Rotterdam next week.

"After last year's absence from some tournaments, I started this season well and made a significant effort during the Australian Open.

"It's because of this that my doctors have strongly advised me to take it easy and give enough rest to my body."

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph