Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 20 April 2014

Quigley makes history

Jason Quigley will fight Kazakhstan's Zhanibek Alimkhanuly for the title on Saturday

Jason Quigley became the first Irish boxer in history to reach a World Championship final on Friday with victory over Russia's Artem Chebotarev in Almaty.

The Donegal middleweight will fight Kazakhstan's Zhanibek Alimkhanuly for the title on Saturday after earning a unanimous decision with a display of slick counter-punching.

Quigley said: "I kept my composure and kept on him and picked him off with better shots. I'm not going to let anybody get in my way now.

"We went through the tactics last night. We knew he was going to come at me so the aim was to pick him off as he comes. I knew I had the skill and speed to beat him."

Quigley, who won the European title in June, is the only Irish or British fighter to make the finals after last-four defeats for Joe Ward and Andrew Selby on Friday.

Ward was outclassed in his light-heavyweight semi-final by Cuba's defending champion Julio De La Cruz, who won every round on all three of the judges' scorecards.

And there was heartbreak for Welshman Selby, who had to settle for a bronze medal after dropping a tight split decision to Uzbekistan's Jasurbek Latipov in their flyweight semi-final.

Earlier, Liverpool middleweight Antony Fowler was forced to withdraw from his semi-final against Kazakhstan's Zhanibek Alimkhanuly due to a hand injury.

Fowler had been due to take on the home favourite on Friday afternoon but injured his hand during his last-eight win over Stefan Haertel.

Fowler, who only recently returned from a different injury to the same hand, was pulled out after extensive discussions between GB coaches and the medical team, and will have to settle for a bronze medal.

Fowler said: "I am absolutely gutted I cannot compete today as I have been boxing really well and feel I could go all the way, however the coaches and medical team have told me it is not safe to continue."