Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Change of heart leaves CI without all-rounder Max Sorensen

By Ian Callender

Published 02/01/2016

Staying put: Max Sorensen not moving to CIYMS
Staying put: Max Sorensen not moving to CIYMS

CIYMS are on the look-out for an Irish-qualified overseas player after Ireland international Max Sorensen told them "home is where the heart is".

The 30-year-old South African-born all-rounder signed a three-year contract with the Belmont club in October but, four months before the start of the new season, he has changed his mind and decided to stay at The Hills, his only club since moving to Ireland in 2008.

"I can't really commit to it," Sorensen told me yesterday. "After thinking about it long and hard, it was going to be tough. The Hills is my club, I'm with my mates every week and playing for CIYMS just didn't feel right. Halfway through the season it could have become tough with all the travelling.

"The money was the only attraction when I signed, so I told CI my heart wouldn't be totally in it.

"CIYMS are obviously disappointed but I'm grateful there were no hard feeling and things have ended on a good note."

Revealingly, Sorensen also said he was given no encouragement that he would be welcomed into the Northern Knights squad if he had moved.

"I spoke to Kyle McCallan (chairman of selectors) before I had confirmed the move telling him I would be keen to play for the Knights, but he said he didn't want 'blow-ins', staying for a year and then going, so that was another factor in my decision not to move.

Sorensen's first target is to get a regular place in the Ireland team - he played in only six of the 30 internationals last year - starting at the end of this month in Australia when Ireland resume their Intercontinental Cup campaign against Papua New Guinea, and then make the World Twenty20 squad that goes to India in March.

Belfast Telegraph

How to Complain

If you have a complaint about the editorial content of the Belfast Telegraph or Sunday Life then contact the Editor here. If you are not satisfied with the response provided then you can contact the Independent Press Standards Organisation here

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph