Belfast Telegraph

Friday 22 August 2014

Djokovic has inspired me, says Murray

Andy Murray has admitted he has been boosted by the form of new world No.1 Novak Djokovic over the past year as he continues searching for his first grand slam title.

Djokovic claimed his second major of the year on Sunday when he added the Wimbledon title to the Australian Open crown he won in January with victory over defending champion Rafael Nadal.

The Serb, who would have replaced the Spaniard at the top of the rankings regardless of Sunday's result, has now won three grand slam titles following his first success in Melbourne in 2008 and has been beaten just once in 2011, when he went down to Roger Federer in the semi-finals of the French Open.

By contrast, Murray is still looking for his first major despite having reached three finals and four semi-finals.

This year the 24-year-old won the first set of his semi-final against Nadal before being dismantled by his opponent, but he is confident he can succeed if he can recreate the type of improvement shown by Djokovic.

He said: “I know it's possible, just look at Novak Djokovic.

“I remember watching Novak lose in the semi-finals of Wimbledon last year against Tomas Berdych and then a tough match against Rafa in the US Open final.”

Murray added: “He's obviously improved a lot since then. That's something I need to look at and try to replicate.

“I'm 24. Right now, this age is pretty much the time I'm going to be at my peak in terms of fitness and strength, so I need to sit down with my team and get the priorities sorted in terms of my game and my training.”

--

The BBC has apologised after viewers complained about “over-talking” by its commentary team.

The corporation said its commentators, who included former players Tim Henman, John McEnroe, Pat Cash and Greg Rusedski, “added balance and insight where necessary”, but admitted some viewers were “unhappy”.

Viewers also logged on to complain with an entire thread dedicated to Andrew Castle's commentary.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Nightlife galleries

More

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre