Newcomer Daniel reels in Junior Angler of Year award
After Banbridge Angling Club's eight junior competitions this season, Daniel Dynes has emerged as the club's 2017 Junior Angler of the Year Daniel only took up angling at the start of the season but learned quickly and has obviously progressed well.
Last year's winner Adam Morrow had another cracking season, and was pipped by just a single point for the title by Daniel. Joshua Quigley, who caught some cracking fish over the year, took third place with Isaac Diamond fourth.
* The final leg of the Boat Anglers Cup for seniors saw Roger McClements take top spot with Joe Curran second and Jim Warren third. The Wadsworth Bethel Cup for juveniles was won by Patrick Curran.
* The water has been perfect on the Lower Bann at Carnroe where 19 salmon were landed in two days. Among the successful anglers were Lee Bradley who grassed a super fish of 14lbs and Bertie Hanna and Tom Simpson who all tempted fish on the fly.
* More great fishing this week at the Birchwood Fishery, Drumquin, saw an amazing total of 1,016 trout landed, the best catch of this season to date.
The patterns doing the damage included a wide variety of wets, dries, buzzers, bloodworms and blobs. Paddy Donnelly bagged 35 trout and Ricardas Trainauskas 34.
* Veteran Irish International Robert Buick took the honours during round 10 of the Lower Bann Angling Association's Summer League with a winning weight of 10.200Kgs. In a hard fought battle for second, Colin Elder edged out Phil Hartin with 6.770Kgs to Phil's 6.490Kgs.
* Portadown Pikers annual Open Pike Competition will take place on Loughgall Country Park Lake on Sunday, September 3.
For seniors, the top prize is £250, second £100 and third place £50 and all three will also be presented with trophies. First, second and third in the junior contest will collect £30, £20 and £10 tackle vouchers, sponsored by Loughview Angling Centre.
Entry tickets are available from Loughview Angling Centre, Lurgan, the club secretary on 07977446848 or from Portadown Pikers Facebook Page.
Happy anglers: Glen McWilliams and Teri Vance with their catch from Birchwood Fishery, Drumquin.
- Vic Thomas with your weekly look at who’s making a big splash in the angling world Contact us with your news at email@example.com