Title win or bust for Sinclair
Published 17/04/2009 | 00:00
Neil Sinclair has been handed a golden chance to revive his career at the Odyssey Arena in the main supporting fight to Martin Rogan's Commonwealth heavyweight title defence against Sam Sexton.
Sinclair, who last year lost on points in an EU welterweight title fight, will face Mayo's Henry Coyle for the vacant Irish light-middle belt on May 15.
Coyle, who has suffered only one defeat in 11 fights, is based in Chicago but dad Gerry says he "will bring a lot of support to Belfast" for what should be an exciting ten rounder.
Coyle is facing is hardest test in Belfastman Sinclair (pictured) who at 35 knows it is win or bust for his career. Having pulled out of a few fights before when promoted by Frank Warren, Sinclair is keen to once more prove his worth to Britain's top promoter.
"This is a great chance for me and I'm very grateful to Frank Warren for giving me the chance. I've always had a lot of respect for him and if I do a good job against Coyle then I hope he can open more doors for me," said former British champion Sinclair.
"Those fights I pulled out of before I knew I had to because I was in terrible shape, not physically but internally but I'm a different man now. It's just unfortunate that it didn't work out with Frank and I'm sorry for that.
"The fight is made at light-middle and that suits me for this one because I won't have to lose too much weight. I feel strong in the gym and John (Breen) tells me I'm punching very hard. I'm overdue a knockout so hopefully it will come against Coyle. I'm 35 but I still have the desire and the hunger to be a champion.
"And I still believe that I can go and win European and world titles.”