Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 12 July 2014

Usain Bolt will defend Olympic titles in Rio de Janeiro in 2016

File photo dated 05/08/2012 of Jamaica's Usain Bolt celebrating winning the Men's 100m final at the Olympic Stadium, London. Bolt has revealed he plans to defend his Olympic sprint titles in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 and not switch disciplines

Usain Bolt has revealed he plans to defend his Olympic sprint titles in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 and not switch disciplines.

The Jamaican declared himself a "living legend" after retaining his 100 and 200 metres crowns in London this summer, as well as being a member of his country's victorious 4x100m relay team.



He has previously hinted he could seek a new challenge in Rio, saying he wanted to have a go at the long jump, while he has continually been linked with the 400m, despite repeatedly insisting he does not want to step up in distance.



But, speaking on a trip to New Zealand, the world's fastest man confirmed his only intention is to go for a third defence of his sprint crowns in Brazil.



"Rio is about going and defending my titles," Bolt said in Auckland. "I don't want to try any different events at Rio, because at Rio I will just defend my titles to show the world that there is a possibility that I can do it again. To do the three-peat, that is the focus."



Bolt's main focus for next year are the World Championships in Moscow and he claimed he would not be taking things easy now the Olympics are over.



He added: "It's all about hard work. When I was doing great when I was young, people used to say I was fast for my age, but I have put a lot of work into since I was a senior athlete.



"I continue to work hard, continue staying focused and pushing myself so for me that's the focus right now to see how fast I can go and I definitely try to go faster each year."



Bolt was also delighted with the West Indies' victory in the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka yesterday.



"I love cricket, it is my first love, but I don't play much," he said.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest Sport News

Stats Centre